News & Notices

Tip of the Week- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


Carbon monoxide is tasteless, odorless, and invisible and can only be detected with detectors. Carbon monoxide does occur naturally but for the most part, is a by-product of combustion. With the recent incident and tragic loss of life in Philadelphia due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning the following below are some tips that will help prevent that from happening to you:

  • Install at least one battery-powered carbon monoxide alarm or AC-powered unit with battery backup on each level of your home and in each bedroom. Consider installing a combination of Smoke and Carbon monoxide detectors.
  • Check all CO alarms to make sure they don’t need new batteries and that they’re not displaying error codes.
  • Replace CO alarms every five to seven years to benefit from the latest technology.
  • Do not use charcoal or gas grills inside or operate outdoors near a window where carbon monoxide fumes can seep into the property.
  • Have a licensed professional inspect heating systems and other fuel-burning appliances annually to ensure they function properly.
  • Have fireplaces cleaned and inspected yearly for build-up residue and keep chimneys clear of animal nests, leaves, and debris for clear ventilation.
  • Do not block or seal shut the exhaust flues or ducts used by water heaters, ranges, and clothes dryers.
  • Do not leave your car running in an attached garage or carport since vehicles release carbon monoxide when fuel is burned.
  • Do not use ovens or stoves to heat your home since they’re both a fire hazard and because gas fuel appliances give off carbon monoxide, especially if they’re installed incorrectly or malfunctioning.
  • Do not run gas-powered equipment in a closed area (shed garage etc.); instead, perform any maintenance required on equipment or tools in an area with open ventilation.
  • CALL 911 if your detectors activate emergency personnel will be more than happy to check your home to make sure it’s safe.

If you would like to have your detectors checked,  please contact Joe Catagnus our Deputy Fire Marshal/ Code Officer at 610 828 9747 ext. 7 or email at


Previous Post
Snow Emergency
Next Post

Upcoming Events

Subscribe to Email Alerts